Monday, March 25, 2019

Separating the art from the artist


It's like friendship. It's often a question of how much you're willing to put up with and for how long. (I'm paraphrasing Alexander Cockburn.)

That's how it is with this question of separating the art from the artist. The answer will be different every time. It's entirely subjective.

It was once something you did internally. You didn't have to announce it to the world and you didn't have to make it sound like it was based on some universal principle rather than a vague preference. 

Clint Eastwood is a monster---look at how he treated Sandra Locke. It's amazing to me that people like that scumbag.

Woody Allen---he didn't molest Dylan. I'm on Soon-yi's side in HER conflict with Mia farrow. I think Woody's relationship with Mia had probably run its course. It was odd that he married her adopted daughter who she abused for years, but now that they've been together for twenty-five years, I'd say it was a wise move for both of them.


Mia Farrow---abuses her adopted children, apparently got Dylan to falsely accuse Woody Allen of molestation. Caused Dory Previn's mental breakdown, lied about sleeping with Frank Sinatra and about her son's paternity, thinks she's a humanitarian when, for the most part, she simply hates any country the US government tells her to hate (although she's pro-Palestinian). I don't mind watching her in movies, though, but I generally disliked her in Woody Allen's movies long before I knew anything negative about her.

Salvador Dali---a fascist. Excommunicated by the surrealists because he was pro-Hitler. Would congratulate Franco every time he executed a political prisoner. He and his wife were afraid they'd be killed when Franco died. I'm not that excited looking at paintings anyway.

Roman Polanski---he's a Holocaust survivor, he has a metal plate his head because he was beaten nearly to death in Poland by a guy who turned out to be a serial killer, then his pregnant wife was horribly murdered. He's a great director but his movies never did anything for the cause of mankind. Yes, he raped a child, but nothing can be done unless he steps foot outside France again. Even if he had gone to prison, he would have been released decades ago. I've watched his movies but I think it's crazy that people want to drop the charges so he can come back to the United States. Let him run out the clock in France. 

Klaus Kinski---even before his daughter said he molested her for years, he didn't seem like anyone you'd ever want to be around. I've only sat through two of his movies since I heard about that. I liked him in some of those Werner Herzog movies, but he was in all those bad horror movies.



Charles Bukowski---he seemed like a horrible person. I liked his writing but I would never go near him. I read a biography of him and in some ways he was worse that I imagined.

Bryan Singer---I can't think of anything he's directed that I'd ever want to see and he's a boy-hungry serial rapist. I hate that guy. Won't watch his movies.

Barbra Streisand---pro-Israel with a depraved indifference Palestinian suffering, egomaniac, she's in her seventies and still thinks she's so cute. I remember when I liked What's Up, Doc, but I didn't especially like her in it. Never cared for her singing and never bought her acting. So there's nothing really on the plus side with her.

Jerry Seinfeld---dated a high school girl when he was in his 40's. But they're happily married now so who am I to judge. He briefly studied Scientology, Spy magazine showed that his observational humor was sometimes indistinguishable from that of Andy Rooney. So, I don't don't really have anything against him. Why did I bring him up?

I don't really listen to music. I can think of a couple of popular musicians who married children, but I don't like them anyway.



I'd like Bing Crosby if he hadn't abused his children. We know he did because he talked about it in interviews at the time. Same with Jerry Lewis but I'm not sure how much I would have liked him if he hadn't been a horrible person. To hell with both those guys.
 
Phil Silvers was a devout Zionist and loved the Jewish mafia. I can still watch him. Liked him in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

Martha Raye was a McCarthyite. I've only seen her in one movie and in Polydent commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment