Monday, April 20, 2020

Lady in a Cage (1964), coronavirus


There was a party next door. College students. They were outside and I could have gone out and looked to see if it was just the people who lived there or if they had guests, but I didn't bother.

Here I am, a prisoner in my own home. I can only be freed when the coronavirus goes away and they're keeping it alive, spreading it among themselves.

I'm like Olivia de Havilland in Lady in a Cage. A wealthy disabled woman has a cage-like elevator in her home. She's alone for the weekend and starts to take the elevator down to the living room. It breaks down halfway. She's stuck in there. Then a bunch of beatniks and juvenile delinquents invade her home and she has to watch helplessly as they drink her liquor and wreck the place.

The analogy isn't perfect, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment