Monday, April 13, 2020

Something easy to prepare for



What is it, Monday? Still under quarantine. Thousands are dying and I can't risk bringing the virus home, so I'm not going anywhere. I did go out and start the car. I drove around the neighborhood, saw a few people walking, a woman jogging, a few other people driving around.

If I could go out and hit some drive throughs it would be nice, but I'm saving money this way, which is good because I'm unemployed. I have two uncashed paychecks and the place was broke so I won't be able to cash them unless a Small Business Administration loan comes though.

I'm listening to a podcast. It is or was Passover and a Jewish guy is telling how he was once asked to lead a Seder. He did and disappointed everyone there.

 I've known people who have never been religious who've eaten with people who unexpectedly asked to lead them in prayer. They had to resort to one they learned in a church preschool such as, "God is great, God is good/Let us thank Him for our Food. Amen." That's the one they used at my preschool during the Johnson Administration, around 1967.

While you're sitting at the computer and thinking about it, you might want to google an appropriate prayer for occasions like this. It could spare you social embarrassment. It's surprising that religious people will just ASSUME that you're religious, that you, too, pray every time you eat and that you aren't from a denomination whose prayers they would find heretical.

Here's a link to some. I would go with the Eastern Orthodox one just because it would be unfamiliar and they might think you were being extemporaneous. If you want the illusion of spontaneity, don't use one that rhymes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_(prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment