Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Day The World Ended (Roger Corman, 1955)



A good coronavirus movie, I guess, about people who can't leave the house because of radiation. There's no mention of toilet paper, but they're worried about having enough food stockpiled.

A man and his daughter (Paul Birch, Lori Nelson) have survived the nuclear holocaust. Their house is situated where mountains and wind currents protect them from radiation. Then people start showing up at their door. There's a geologist who was looking for uranium (Richard Denning), a low level mobster (Mike Connors) and his stripper friend (Adele Jergens), an old prospector and his mule, and there's a guy who had been out in the radiation and is becoming a bit of mutant.

Shot in ten days for $96,000 (less than a million dollars today.)

I read somewhere that this was the first nuclear war movie that young people took seriously. I saw it on TV in the middle of the night when I was thirteen or fourteen and it scared me. I wasn't worried about radioactive mutants---just nuclear war. By the time the nuclear freeze movement came along in the '80's, I was over that fear. I was involved in anti-nuclear groups at the university but was more laid back about it than the others.

Available free on Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment