Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie



My mother wanted us to watch a movie together. I searched and searched for one that neither of us would find objectionable. There were a couple of Tom Cruise movies she liked, but no way was I going to watch those.

Finally settled on The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. She didn't understand it. I told her there wasn't really anything to understand. I pointed out that they kept getting together to eat and never got to eat. She thought it was funny when the priest killed a man.

The scene where the bishop asks the couple to let him work for them as a gardener made me think of Bunuel's Nazarin. Father Nazario triggered a violent labor dispute when he offers to work without pay, for meals alone. We hear gunshots as he and his disciples walk away.

In The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, the bishop wisely says he'll work for union scale, no more, no less. "I have to follow the rules."

No comments:

Post a Comment