Friday, April 19, 2019

"Classic" films

A "classic movie" still.
I keep going to cracked.com. They keep running "articles" on what they call "classic movies". Like this one, "Six Classic Films That Almost Turned Out Terrible".

That sounds interesting, doesn't it. Except the "classic films" they talk about were Captain America: Civil War, The Terminator, Groundhog Day, Gremlins, My Cousin Vinny and The Lord of the Rings.

Am I just way too old to be reading that crap? Is that really what people think of when they think of "classic films"?

Then I read this other thing. There was a long article published somewhere complaining about the way women are portrayed in movies. It was written by a woman who, it turned out, only went to movies based on children's books, based on comic books or that may as well have been based on comic books. She said that she took her mother to a movie about a princess who knew kung fu.

"At least she knew kung fu," she said as though this rendered the character a feminist heroine.

"They all know kung fu," observed her mother.

So why on earth were two grown women going to a movie about a princess? I saw a movie about Princess Margaret once, but that was about the degeneracy of an actual royal family.

Someone had posted a link to the article on a message board frequented mainly by women who preferred books and movies intended for children, so I had to be careful what I said. I politely suggested that the author of the article should try going to movies made for adults and they all thought I was a misogynist.

No comments:

Post a Comment