Sunday, April 28, 2019

Why I don't watch super hero movies



Cesar Romero was pushing 60 when he gave a wildly energetic performance as the Joker on TV's Batman. Jack Nicholson was only only 52 when he played the Joker in 1989. I haven't seen it since then but didn't he mostly sit around talking?

It was like when John Astin replaced Frank Gorshin as the Riddler on the TV show. He just walked around in a costume and smiled when he talked.

I can't remember how many Superman movies I saw. I saw the first one and I saw the third, crappy Israeli-produced one where they kept re-using the same shot of Superman flying. But I barely remember the middle one.

The part where Lois Lane started reciting poetry was just embarrassing. I don't know how that ended up in the movie. The tagline for the movie was, "You will believe a man can fly," but there was nothing special about the flying scenes.

Maybe if I hadn't stopped watching superhero movies at that point I would have liked them, but I doubt it.

There was a time when I read comic books. Marvel Comics just annoyed me. They wasted so much space on character development that the stories never got anywhere. Everything was continued in the next issue. Even people who liked that kind of crap got tired of it. The one Captain America comic book I bought started with Captain America blubbing over his long-dead sidekick, Bucky. I don't think anything happened after that. It was just Captain America moping around thinking. They could have used the same drawing in every panel with a different thought balloon and it wouldn't have changed the story one bit.

Captain America and Bucky in happier days.


And, back then, exactly 50% of Marvel comic books was advertising. You'd have two pages of comics, two pages of advertising. Occasionally you would be surprised by three pages of comics, but then there would be three pages of ads. When you added it all together, with front and back covers, it was half advertising. Other comic books weren't like that.

Now, long ago, there was a cheap Gold Key UFO comic book I bought. It had some "true" UFO stuff in there, such as the story of Bo and Peep, a couple who led a UFO cult. Their real names were Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles. Their cult eventually started calling itself "Heaven's Gate". Thirty-nine of its members committed suicide together in 1997.

After the mass suicide, I thought the comic book might be worth a few dollars. I looked for it but it was long gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment