Friday, May 3, 2019

Angelica Huston interview



From an article about Angelica Huston's interview on Vulture.

Oprah hates her:
Huston, the daughter of director John Huston, revealed that Oprah has never spoken to her, and never invited her onto her talk show, most likely because she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Prizzi’s Honor, beating Winfrey’s performance in The Color Purple.
“She never had me on her show, ever. She won’t talk to me,” Huston says.

“The only encounter I’ve had with Oprah was when I was at a party for the Academy Awards, a private residence. I was talking to Clint Eastwood, and she literally came between us with her back to me. So all of the sudden I was confronted with the back of Oprah’s head.”
Woody Allen:
“Two states investigated him, and neither of them prosecuted him,” Huston says, and asked whether she’d work with him again, she adds: “Yeah, in a second.”
 Remember what I said about Cesar Romero's performance as the Joker being far more energetic than Jack Nicholson's?
“Bad cocaine makes you feel shitty. Probably makes you run for the loo because it’s laced with laxatives. Pure cocaine gives you a very light, airy, clear, and extremely pleasant feeling. But really, there’s no such thing as good cocaine. I don’t believe that people should take it recreationally. [Nicholson] never took overt amounts. He was never a guzzler. I think Jack sort of used it, probably like Freud did, in a rather smart way. Jack always had a bit of a problem with physical lethargy. He was tired, and I think probably, at a certain age, a little bump would cheer him up. Like espresso.”
Roman Polanski:
Asked about Roman Polanski – she was at Jack Nicholson’s house when the director raped a 13-year-old model, before fleeing the US – she said: “Well, see, it’s a story that could’ve happened ten years before in England or France or Italy or Spain or Portugal, and no one would’ve heard anything about it. And that’s how these guys enjoy their time.

“It was a whole playboy movement in France when I was a young girl, 15, 16 years old, doing my first collections. You would go to Régine or Castel in Paris, and the older guys would all hit on you. Any club you cared to mention in Europe. It was de rigueur for most of those guys like Roman who had grown up with the European sensibility.

“My opinion is: He’s paid his price, and at the time that it happened, it was kind of unprecedented. This was not an unusual situation. You know that movie An Education with Carey Mulligan? That happened to me. It’s about a schoolgirl in England who falls in love with an older dude, Peter Sarsgaard. My first serious boyfriend I met when he was 42 and I was 18.

“But these things happen, that’s what I’m saying. These things weren’t judged on the same basis that they’re judged on now. So you can’t compare them.”
I don't know to what degree she was defending Polanski. Some of the headlines characterized this as support for him, but she didn't say he was innocent, that he suffered any injustice, or that he should be allowed back in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment