Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Maybe abject poverty wouldn't be so bad



So here are a few examples:

I'm acquainted with a musician, extremely talented jazz guy, who is a recovering heroin addict. He said during that earlier phase of life, he woke up on a beach in Hawaii. He saw a little old man hurrying past him.

"You're Red Skelton!" the musician exclaimed.

"Yes I am," Red Skelton replied without slowing down.

Jon Jost brags that he's "independently poor", but you look at his blog and he's freely traveling the world.

There was an old guy in wheelchair downtown who would ask for spare change all time. He was old and obviously unemployable, so people gave him money. He disappeared for a while. Someone asked where he had been and he had taken a long vacation to the east coast.

I knew a chronically unemployed guy who would take off and go driving across the country.

And here I am, technically impoverished. I could cover a $400 emergency, so I'm better off than 61% of Americans. But why do these penniless slobs get to travel all over while I haven't had a vacation in at least ten years?

It's not an attack on them. I just want in on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment