Saturday, May 4, 2019

Unrelated (UK, 2007)



A middle aged woman joins her middle aged friends and their families on vacation in Italy. For various reasons finds herself hanging around with their young adult children. She doesn't tell on them when they get into mischief which creates problems when the grown-ups find out.

I once found myself in a similar situation. I was delivering some furniture, had to sit and wait for the lady of the house to come downstairs, so I watched TV with the children. I wasn't sure if I should take it upon myself to stop the baby from ripping up a magazine. I let him wrinkle it a little, then I gave him a rattle or something distract him.

But what are you supposed to do in these situations, especially if you're kind of a pitiful, lonely adult who's out of place with these people who inexplicably invited you to join them at their Italian villa and you went there without your husband to get a break from your troubled marriage?

I saw this before a couple of years ago.

Watching it again, I'd definitely squeal on the teens.

I never enjoyed vacations until I started going alone.

Filmed on a Sony HVR-Z1 ($450 used on Adorama). The shots all seem to be static camera. Filmed with a prosumer camcorder and a tripod.

Written and directed by Joanna Hogg.

Available on the Criterion Channel.



No comments:

Post a Comment