Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Rainy Day in New York looking for an American distributor


Variety has reported that Amazon gave back the domestic distribution rights to Woody Allen's Rainy Day in New York. He's working on finding a distributor.

The author of the article had some doubt they would find an American distributor, but it's hard to tell. Writers keep talking about them like they were normal movies, like he doesn't have his niche audience. Nothing has changed for him in twenty-five years. He has the same audience he's always had. I guess he did draw in new people to see Midnight in Paris. It's possible he was trying to get kids to come to Rainy Day in New York by putting Selena Gomez in it, but Timothee Chalamet? Did teens flock to Call Me By Your Name or Beautiful Boy?

I never imagined anyone going to Woody Allen movies to see Leonardo DiCaprio or Steve Carrell or---who are the other big shots who've been in his movies? I assumed he liked casting big names so he wouldn't have to direct the actors.

I could be wrong. I read John Baxter's biography of Woody Allen and he had different view. He wrote about Shadows and Fog as a failed horror movie because there was nothing really scary in it. I had always taken it as a borderline art house movie. Maybe I should judge his work in more conventional terms. It's probably how he sees it.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment