Sunday, May 19, 2019

One good thing about DVD's



I saw it claimed somewhere that VHS tapes of South Korean soap operas are popular in North Korea. It was reported that police would shut off power to a building so people couldn't eject and hide their tapes, then they would raid their apartments to see what they were watching. It may be true but I don't know how anyone would know, and I'm not sure it even makes sense.

But are we any better off here in the West with the NSA able to monitor our streaming video viewing habits?

I've said on here before that I keep turning on the 1950's film The Naked Witch because it puts me to sleep. It turns out to be a common thing. People turn on a movie they've seen countless times to help them fall asleep.

The Naked Witch would probably get a PG rating today. PG-13 would be overkill. But it still bothers me that, if anyone were to check my viewing history, they would find that I had played the same 1950's nudie film hundreds of times.

This is why DVDs should always have a place.

This occurred to me when I looked at this article on CD's. I don't have a subscription, so all I read was the headline:

Why Play a Music CD? ‘No Ads, No Privacy Terrors, No Algorithms’

Streaming services have revolutionized the discovery of songs, but here’s why Ben Sisario, who covers the music industry, still likes to listen to compact discs.

I used to watch a DVD of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World which usually put me to sleep in the first ten minutes and The Ape Man with Bela Lugosi which I've played countless times. I still have no idea what it's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment